Medicare Part B drug coverage

Part B covers drugs administered by a doctor or other licensed caregiver on an outpatient basis. Such drugs are not covered by a Part D drug plan, which covers drugs a person administers to themselves.

Part B pays only 80 percent of claim expenses for people with Original Medicare. They should consider getting a private Medigap supplement plan to pay the other 20 percent.

People with private Medicare Advantage plans have out-of-pocket protection on Part B claims. Limits vary, so check with your plan for its details.