Changing your mind about claimed Social Security benefits

Alice: A friend’s husband started collecting his Social Security in January when he turned 66. My friend would like to pay back what he collected and wait until he would have turned 70 to collect his Social Security benefits. Would that be possible?

Phil Moeller: Yes. Because his benefits began within the last 12 months, he can withdraw his application and complete this form. He must repay not only all Social Security benefits he has received but also any Medicare premiums deducted from them.